Have you been searching for a flexible job that will allow you to work when you have the free time and that also pays well? Then you might want to consider becoming a driver for a ride-sharing company.
What is Ridesharing?
You've probably heard about these services in the news recently. Like taxi companies, ride-sharing services provide transportation for customers who need to get from point A to point B. Unlike taxi services, ridesharing companies don't have drivers on staff. Instead, they hire regular car owners like you and then connect them through a phone app to clients in need of a ride.
So What Do You Need to Become a Ridesharing Service Driver?
First off, you will obviously need a car. And not just any car. At the very minimum, most ridesharing services require that your vehicle:
- Have four doors. All four doors must be operable, and customers should be able to lock and unlock these doors on their own.
- Be in good working condition. In some cases, your vehicle will have to pass a company-required inspection.
- Be relatively new. The maximum age for a vehicle varies from company to company. For example, one company requires that all of its drivers' vehicles be 2003 or newer; while another company allows the use of vehicles that were manufactured as far back as 2000.
If your current vehicle does not meet these requirements and you really want to be a driver for a ridesharing service, you will need to purchase an automobile that can meet these standards. When searching for a vehicle, make sure to look for a make and model that is known for its reliability, such as a used Nissan or Ford. Your vehicle does not need to be new -- a used automobile in good condition will also suffice. However, it's important that any car you select:
- Gets good mileage. The less money you spend filling your tank, the more you can take home at the end of a day driving customers around.
- Was never declared as salvage. Most ridesharing services will not allow you to drive passengers in a vehicle that was once considered "junk"-able.
- Is in very good condition. The interior and exterior of the vehicle you purchase should be clean and in excellent shape.
You must be at least 21 to drive for these services and also have a clean driving record. In addition, you must also have automobile insurance and a smart phone.
How Much Can You Expect to Make?
According to Christian Science Monitor, drivers can earn anywhere from $8 to $30 an hour, even more during peak hours.
So, if you are looking for a flexible job that works with your schedule and you have a reliable car, you might want to look into RideShare.